The LRIS Portal
Soil Data At Your Fingertips
How to access
You can access the LRIS Portal service using the above link.
Maps based on data in the LRIS Portal can be viewed in the Our Environment web site.
|Find soil data
||Search for soil data and supporting information
|Download soil data
||Download the soil data in a variety of formats
||Each dataset comes with comprehensive metadata and ancillary documents so you can get the most from the data
||Soil data are provided free of charge under simple licensing arrangements
The whole of mainland New Zealand and Antarctica.
Data based on soil surveys dating back as far as the 1960s.
Soil data are available Landcare Data Use Licence.
The sites linked to from this website have their own copyright/licence terms and conditions, and users should familiarise themselves with those terms and conditions.
The Land Resource Information System (LRIS) Portal provides soil data for mapping, querying and spatial analysis.
The Portal contains a variety of soil data and information including maps (tiff images), digital soil maps and soil bureau bulletins and reports.
It provides free, online access to a growing range of Landcare Research Resources including
- A subset of the new S-Map (soil) database
- Layers from the New Zealand Fundamental Soil database (e.g. pH, salinity, drainage, profile of available water, rooting depth)
- The FSL New Zealand Soil Classification
- LENZ (Land Environments of New Zealand) 'underlying layers'
- New Zealand Land Resource Inventory Soils data
Other data include:
- National digital elevation models (DEMs)
- The New Zealand Land Cover Database (LCDB)
- Other data from the New Zealand Resource Inventory, such as vegetation and slope data
No special software is required. Just follow the instructions using your usual internet browser and the data can be on your desktop, ready for use, in just minutes.