S-map soil survey in Greater Wellington area
Greater Wellington Council (GWRC)
2 years 11 months
Start date: 01 Jul 2017
End date: 30 Jun 2020
Greater Wellington is responsible for the management of the region's natural resources. The Environmental Science Department provides scientific knowledge related to the management of these resources. Information about soils in the region will improve by mapping of soils using the S-map system.
Three priority areas has been defined for the mapping exercise (see images in Photo Gallery below):
- Porirua Harbour Whaitua (20,040 ha)
- Whareama catchment (25,207 ha)
- Whareama Tinui (28,058 ha), and part Ruamahanga Whaitua (up to 5,000 ha)
The main outputs of the project will include:
- GIS files of soil boundaries with attribute tables.
- Soil reports for the main survey areas (Porirua, Whareama including Tinui), which contain or append extension factsheets for key soils.
- Soils data will be published on S-map Online at times determined by Manaaki Whenua upload schedules.